Randolph Encourages Customers to Avoid Year-End Crowds, Complete Transactions Online
Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph today announced that the Tax Collector’s Office, including the Tax Department and seven Tag Agencies, will be closed on Friday, December 22 and Monday, December 25 in observance of the Christmas holiday. The Office will also close on Monday, January 1 for New Year’s Day.
Randolph said that December is the busiest month of the year at the Tax Collector’s Office. The Office expects to complete more than 90,000 in-person transactions – or about 4,700 transactions per workday – at its Tax Department and seven Tag Agencies this month. In addition to annual expired tags, December 31 is also the deadline for customers to receive a 3% Early Payment Discount on their property taxes, mobile home renewals and heavy truck registration renewals.
To help avoid year-end crowds, Randolph is encouraging Tax Collector customers to follow these tips:
- Pay your taxes online in December for a 3% discount – We’ve waived the $2 eCheck charge to encourage online payments.
- Renew your tag online – You’ll receive it 2-3 business days after we process payment.
- Use Tag Express for same-day tag service – Order your tag online and pick it up the same day at one of our tag agencies – no lines.
- Get in line virtually with SmartPass to be served today – We’ll send you text message updates estimating the time at which you’ll be served.
- Schedule an appointment with SmartPass for a later date – Select the date and time of your visit.
“With Christmas and the holiday season right around the corner, the last thing folks want to do is wait in line for motor vehicle services,” Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph said. “With SmartPass you don’t have to. You can get in line from anywhere virtually or schedule an appointment that’s convenient for you.”
For SmartPass and other online services, visit the Tax Collector’s website at octaxcol.com.