Orange County Tax Collector

General Information

Proof of Florida insurance is required to register or renew a registration in Florida, including Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in the amount of at least $10,000 and Property Damage Liability (PDL) in the amount of at least $10,000.

Motorcycles, mobile homes and utility trailers do not require insurance to obtain a registration in Florida.

If you cancel your insurance policy, you must surrender your tag to our office to avoid the suspension of your driver’s license/registration and reinstatement fees (see below).

Vehicles with a Current Florida Registration

Vehicles that are currently registered in Florida must:

  • Purchase the policy from an insurance carrier licensed to do business in Florida. (Search the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation database to determine if a company is licensed in Florida.)
  • Be insured with PIP and PDL insurance at the time of registration with a minimum of $10,000 in PIP and a minimum of $10,000 in PDL.
  • Maintain Florida insurance coverage continuously throughout the registration period even if the vehicle is not being driven or is not operable.
  • Maintain Florida insurance coverage continuously throughout the registration period regardless of the vehicle’s location. (Out-of-state Military members may be exempt.)

Information for Military Members

Florida residents deployed out-of-state are allowed to have out-of-state vehicle insurance if the vehicle is located out-of-state. Learn more.

Additional Requirements for Taxis

Taxis must carry Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) coverage of $125,000 per person, $250,000 per occurrence and $50,000 for PDL coverage.

Cancelling Your Insurance

Surrender your license plate/tag before cancelling your insurance to avoid suspension and reinstatement fees. Failure to maintain required insurance coverage in Florida may result in the suspension of your driver's license/registration and a requirement to pay a reinstatement fee of up to $500.

Moving Out of Florida

Do not cancel your Florida insurance until you have registered your vehicle(s) in the other state or have surrendered all valid plates/registrations to our office.

To surrender your plate, please download, complete and submit the Surrender License Plate by Mail Form along with your plate to Orange County Tax Collector, P.O. Box 545100, Orlando, FL 32854. Remember to include your email address; notification of receipt of the surrendered plate will be sent via email.

If a person other than the owner/registrant is surrendering the license plate and decal, a photocopy of their photo identification must be provided with the Surrender License Plate by Mail Form.

New Florida Residents

New Florida residents must obtain auto insurance from a valid Florida insurance agent and register their vehicle(s), vessel(s) and mobile home(s) within 10 days of establishing residency. New Florida residents must also obtain a valid Florida driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency in order to legally drive in Florida.

You are considered a Florida resident if you have:

  • Started employment in Florida;
  • Enrolled your child(ren) in public school in Florida;
  • Registered to vote in Florida;
  • Filed for homestead tax exemption on property in Florida; or
  • Lived in Florida for a period of more than six consecutive months.