New Vehicles and Title Transfers
Follow these steps to process your title transaction:
- Will the Purchaser(s) or owner(s) of the Vehicle, Vessel or Mobile Home be Present? If not, you must bring an original Power of Attorney >
- Complete the Application for Certificate of Title. If the “Transfer of Title by Seller” section is not fully completed, we cannot transfer the title. The title must be signed by both the purchaser(s) and seller(s) before transferring. (Note: Florida law requires a transfer of ownership to be completed within 30 days of the sale of a vehicle otherwise the transaction will be subject to a $20.00 penalty.)
- Bring the Bill of Sale with you. The State of Florida sales tax is 6% and is collected on the sale price, less the trade-in. Sales tax credit may be allowed for sales tax paid in another state. Other exemptions may apply for divorce proceedings, inheritance, adding a spouse, etc
- Proof of Florida Insurance and Valid Proof of Identification is Required. A Florida insurance card or policy must be presented at the Tax Collector’s Office as well as valid proof of identification. For U.S. Citizens, a valid Driver’s License, State-issued ID or U.S. Passport are all acceptable forms of identification. For non-U.S. Citizens, a valid foreign passport is acceptable.
- For Vehicles Brought in from Out of State. An out-of-state title or registration must be submitted as proof of ownership. If a transfer of ownership is also involved, there must also be proper proof of sale indicating the new owner’s name and address.
For New Vehicles Only
The Original Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin or Manufacturer Statement of Origin should have been provided to you at the time of sale. Contact the dealer if you did not receive this document. (Important reminder: make sure the dealer signs the certificate.)
Replacement and Duplicate Titles
A duplicate or replacement Florida title may be obtained either in person or by mail.
To apply for a title, please complete and submit the Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate >
Who may Apply for a Title?
Only the registered owner or lien holder on record may apply for a duplicate Florida title. The application must be completed by the lien holder if an outstanding lien exists.
What Documents Must be Provided?
Applicants must provide proof of their personal identification such as a driver’s license, state-issued ID, valid U.S. Passport, Canadian driver’s license or Canadian photo ID. If your address is different from what is on record with the State of Florida, proof of your new address must be submitted at the time of application.
There is a State-mandated fee of $75.75, plus an additional $2.50 state mailing fee for paper titles.
Please send the total amount of $85.75 by check, money order or cashier’s check, made payable to “Scott Randolph” or “Orange County Tax Collector” to:
Orange County Tax Collector
P.O. Box 545100
Orlando, FL 32854
If you would like a replacement or duplicate title processed the same day, please inform the clerk assisting you. To request a fast title by mail, please indicate on the application form that you would like your request processed the same day.
Fast Title Fee
The cost of a fast title is $85.75. We accept credit/debit card*, cash, check, money order or cashier’s check.
At the time of transfer, customers may request to have their title remain in an electronic status. A paper title will not be mailed until the owner of the vehicle specifically requests to have a paper title printed.
Miscellaneous Title Applications and Transfers
If you have a unique situation such as death of owner, court order, change of name, repossession, rebuilt vehicle or bankruptcy, call our Motorist Services Center at (407) 845-6200 to ensure you have the proper paperwork with you when you visit our office.
* 2.39% processing fee